Your home purchase can help reduce gun violence.
Now, anyone who cares about reducing gun violence can turn virtually any brokered real estate transaction into funding for the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence. By using this free platform to find a real estate agent or make arrangements with one you already know you want to work with, your buying or selling a home or leasing commercial space can generate funding for the cause. A typical home sale of $300,000 can result in about $1,300 of free funding, which has a direct impact on our ability to educate and mobilize the public to push for more sensible gun policies.
Strategies that work to reduce gun violence.
The numbers are staggering and the stories are tragic. Each year, nearly 1,000 people in Illinois and 30,000 nationally are needlessly killed by guns. Tens of thousands more are injured. According to the Annual Gun Law ScoreCard, states with the most regulations on guns have the lowest numbers of deaths. The mission of the Illinois Council against Handgun Violence (ICHV) is to reduce death and injury caused by firearms through the following means:
- Educating the public on the facts about gun violence and its impacts;
- Providing a clearinghouse of resources and information;
- Evaluating effectiveness and feasibility of existing and proposed public policies related to firearms;
- Working with stakeholder groups including law enforcement, health care providers, and community groups to understand and incorporate their experiences pertaining to gun violence;
- Advocating for state and federal policies that make it more difficult to obtain firearms;
- Building and mobilizing public support for better gun control laws.
Because of this multi-prong approach, the work of ICHV has resulted in some of the most progressive regulations in the country.
ICHV has brought much needed attention and awareness about gun violence and solutions through programs such as Student Voices Program, Most Dangerous Street, SpeakforSafetyIL.org, Lincoln Awards, and the Teddy Gun project.
Your Purchase, Sale, or Lease Can Help Reduce Gun Deaths
Funding is a vital ingredient for these and other programs. By using this free platform to find a real estate agent or make arrangements with one you already know you want to work with, buying or selling a home or leasing commercial space can generate funding for the cause. For example, the purchase or sale of a $300,000 home can result in about $1,300 of free funding, which directly impacts Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence’ ability to win the fight saner gun policies and fewer gun deaths. Please start here for any of your real estate agent/broker needs and please share this on Facebook and LinkedIn. Thank you!
Total IIC Funding: