Every child has the right to be raised in a safe, loving, and supportive environment. The importance of protecting young and vulnerable children, even in this country, cannot be overstated. That is the governing philosophy of Prevent Child Abuse America, rated by Consumer Reports as “One of the two best charities for children in the nation.”
Unfortunately, even in a country as wealthy as America, growing up in a loving family environment is not a given for every child. Many children are subject to abuse, violence, exploitation, and neglect. While authorities and community and faith-based organizations strive to ensure that children grow up in a healthy family environment, very few charities have proven as effective as Prevent Child Abuse America.
Prevent Child Abuse America is a 501(c)3 nonprofit whose programs, policies, and services work to prevent the abuse and neglect of our nation’s children. Their evidence-based, home-visiting strategies are improving child well-being for almost 100,000 families every year. Its mission and messaging are based upon the following facts:
- Child abuse and neglect is preventable;
- Research tells us how to prevent it and what works;
- The cost to US taxpayers of not preventing abuse and neglect is approximately $80 billion a year;
- The Brookings Institute identifies investment in home visitation services as one of the four investments that should be made to reduce our national budget deficit; and,
- While 90% of the public views child abuse and neglect as a national problem, child abuse and neglect will not be eliminated until each of us becomes engaged in solutions and backs up our talk with action.
Based in Chicago, Prevent Child Abuse America was started in 1972 and now has chapters in all 50 states. Its signature program Healthy Families America helps expectant and new parents get their kids off to a healthy start. Only by protecting our young children, and providing them with the level of care and nurturing they need, will we enable them to reach their fullest potential.